Tuesday, October 12, 2010

October is rarin' to be awesome

In the last couple of weeks I've had a lovely slew of acceptances and I'm so psyched that all of these stories will be appearing online in October, my most favorite month!


"I've Got Your Ghosts Right Here" will be in The Collagist!

I wrote this story for a Ray's Reading. The "constraint" for the night was to write about "The ghosts of Ray's" or something like that. I decided to put a little literal ghost work as well as the idea of a memory as a ghost and the ghosts of people who are still around, we just forget to notice them. I also listened to Santa Maria by The Frames A LOT while writing this. The song is based on Egon Schiele, so there are some connections there with the story.


"You remind me of that guy in the movies, the one with the eyes" will be in Precipitate!

This story was written while listening to the album "I am the West" by the band Lovers, particularly the song "How the Story Ends."


"Me and Theodore climbed to the top of the water tower because we were afraid of the tremors beneath the dirt." will be in Everyday Genius!

Originally this story was rejected, but Adam saved it from the "no" pile and moved it to the "yes" pile, thereby ensuring that I would continue to wear the small pin with the portrait of Adam's face on it. This story was written when I was feeling old and like I had lost my youth and was really sad because I realized I would never be young again.



Also, at some point, don't know when:


"Pocket Rocket" will be in the This Week portion of BLIP!

I wrote this after sitting on my porch. I walked inside. Wrote it. Posted it at Fictionaut. Meg emailed me and said she liked it. That all happened in the span of about six hours. Crazy. I'm not sure when it'll be up, but I'm psyched about it.


"On watching the 2000 movie "Where the Heart Is" starring Natalie Portman, Ashley Judd, and Stockard Channing in which Natalie Portman plays a pregnant teenager whose boyfriend abandons her at a Wal-Mart while on a cross-country trip and she then lives in the Wal-Mart until she has the baby and then the rest of the movie is about how she makes a life for herself with mild success as a photographer and a marriage to the town hottie/smarty-pants *meanwhile* the boyfriend who abandoned her gets arrested, stays a worthless drunk, loses his legs, and lives a life of regret, in short, he gets what he deserves and even though I paid ACTUAL money to see this movie when it was in theaters, and left the theater knowing the movie really only deserved, maybe, to be on Lifetime: Television for Women, the other night, when it actually was on Lifetime: Television for Women, or maybe it was on Oxygen, I don't quite remember, I do know that it was a television station "for women," I sat down and watched it, the whole thing, all the while knowing that I could be doing something like reading a book, or doing laundry, or writing a novel, or something productive like that." will be in the first Knee-Jerk print issue!

The title of the story pretty much tells the process of this piece. Also, it's about the last unicorn in the world.



Hooray for October!!


.

No comments: