Monday, December 08, 2008

For she's a jolly good fellow!

Last week, I had the pleasure of participating in what is easily the funnest reading I have ever been to. It was at the Rec Room and the theme for the night was "Reading Bondage: Only the Microphone was Ashamed." Genius curator Nicolette Bond created a bevy of "constraints" that each reader had to go through while reading their poem. You can find a better account of the night on Jac Jemc's blog here.

My personal favorite part of the night was when I won the raffle and a prize of the entire room singing "For she's a jolly good fellow" to me. I honestly felt like the personification of cupcakes at that moment. It was jolly and joy.

My (close) second favorite moment was when, while Jac was reading a poem, the entire audience slowly stood up and surrounded her. It was amazing.

I'll be participating in the Rec Room again next month as they represent at the Lit Gangs of Chicago at the MCA. The show is on inauguration day (January 20th) and the theme is "So help me God." I wonder what Theodore Huxtable will have to say about it.

Two more readings to go THIS month.

First, of course, is Quickies!


featuring:
James Kennedy (super)
Shannon Schmidt (awesome)
Melanie Datz (that's what she said)
Mandy Hobomeier (you don't say)
Lindsay Hunter (you're mom)
and Margaret Chapman (oh dip)


...And on December 15th, I'll be reading at the whistler as part of the Orange Alert Reading Series.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to write my story for tomorrow night. It's going to be about buttons. Silver buttons.





.

No comments: