Monday, July 14, 2008

That's what she said/So's your sister

Ah travel. I never take enough pictures, and when I do take out my camera, it's usually during one meal and I end up with a five day vacation (ha! who am I kidding? I haven't had a five day vacation since I was 15, which, upon reflection, is fairly lucky, there are kids who have *never* had a five day vacation, but I digress...) anyway, I end up with pictures from a two hour meal to represent a weekend getaway.

And so it happened again. I went to Long Island for the wedding of a dear college chum. Knowing I would be the only single gal at my table, I sported a very short green dress and patent leather heels. They held up well on the dancefloor (the dress and the heels).


During the bouquet toss, I was literally dragged from my seat by a bridesmaid. When the bouquet was thrown, it began to sail in our direction and both the bridesmaid and I fled the scene, not wanting to be anywhere near the bunch of tulips and roses that symbolized, what exactly?

The next day, I went into the city to hang with my cousin and a couple of friends from Chicago. It was good times.


And, of course, no trip to Brooklyn would be complete without a drink at a dirty bar. Sitting on a bench that maayyyybbbee could give a girl fleas.



And so, at 4:30pm, I had to board a subway train and bid adieu to my lovely weekend on the east coast. I had a blast. I ate miraculously delicious vegan pancakes.


And bought a ridiculous purple polka dotted dress at a Brooklyn thrift store (when in Rome...)

Got to the airport (at about 5:30)....bought the newspaper....and waited.....until 12:30 to board my plane. Ahh delays. Still, it astounds me how easy it is for people to yell at representatives for the airlines. I mean, hey dude, I had to wait an extra four hours too, but I'm not calling the poor Jet Blue ticket agent horrendous names. I mean, the guy's not the pilot, he's not the president or ceo of Jet Blue, he's not the mechanic or the navigator, he's the dude at the counter trying to help you.


Seriously, people are mean! I was walking through the terminal (on my way to get a warm sandwhich--it turned out to be cold lettuce on toasted white bread) behind two flight attendants who had just had their flights cancelled and were chatting about the hurricane that was causing all the cancellations and delays and this random woman comes up and just starts screaming at one of the flight attendants and then random woman says, "I'm sorry, I'm just frustrated."

So, okay, she apologized, but really, it must be so hard to be an employee for an airline. Yeah, I feel sorry for me for having to wait four hours and then having to ride the CTA in a skirt at 3am, but at least I didn't have to work on my feet for those three hours in-between and get ripped a new one by the drunk guy in aisle 17.

So here's to you, anyone in customer service, especially for an airline, I raise my glass of Ginger Ale to thee.




.

No comments: