Monday, March 24, 2008

Is it possible?

Gmail has a new feature that allows you to become "invisible" so that no one else who is signed on can see that you are also signed on.

What it is, is, it's like you're in a room with all your friends and you can see them, but they can't see you, but you're right there, standing in the middle of the room... But you're invisible.

Kind of like when Harry Potter wears that cape.

Sometimes, I wonder if it is possible to be invisible in real life without the help of a magical cloak or a setting on a computer screen. Eh, I don't wonder, I know.


*


I am still waiting on responses from about 25 submissions. I am wondering if some of these places have simply forgotten all about me.

Because at least a rejection acknowledges the attempt to be heard.

But no word from these journals only brings fear of either a flood of no's,

or worse,

a flood of silence.


*


Sometimes, when I'm riding the train home from work and a fellow passenger's elbow is knocking my forehead with no notice or care, I try to seek my reflection in the window of the train. The thing is, I never seem to recognize the face looking back. Because it is never steady, lost everytime the train goes by a light or stops in a station or goes above ground. It makes me curious. It makes me ill. It makes me feel like I'm going to throw up my lungs.






.

No comments: