Saturday, February 16, 2008

Whoa!

I like the Wikipedia

I like the Wikipedia because I can look up really random shit and learn lots of interesting stuff.

Like, today, I was really really bored at work, so I started looking up stuff on the Wikipedia.

I looked up unicorns
Tao Lin
Mary Hamilton x 2!
Narwhals
Alex Trebek
My Little Pony
and the Mid-Atlantic Ridge

which got me to thinking about those CRAZY deep sea fish and other scary creatures, so I Googled "deep sea creatures"

and found this. Well, hello, my new favorite website!



I then perused LiveScience for a while, checking out the latest info on expanding space and negative space and rogue stars and the whatnot.

When I read articles like this, my brain kind of goes crazy. Like, I can't wrap my mind around the idea that the light we see now, from this galaxy far far away, is light that was emitted (?) 13 billion years ago!


whoa.

I think it is quite accurate that truth is stranger than fiction. Which is maybe why I find it hard to get wrapped up in a fiction novel or story, unless it's AWESOME, of course. Which is definitely why I prefer to read non-fiction.

which leads me to ask

can anyone recommend a really awesome non-fiction book that will make me go "whoa! no way!" while reading?

thanx





.

4 comments:

Caroline said...

The Glass Castle.

Anonymous said...

Hey! That's the book I was going to suggest.
Your (C's) Mom

Anonymous said...

Not as "whoa! no way!" as The Glass Castle, but Gone Boy, A Walkabout A Father's Search for the Truth in His Son's Murder is very compelling.
C's Mom again

cc said...

I think that's my real mom. Not a fake one!