Wednesday, January 02, 2008

2008 - this 'n' that to kick off a new year

  • I like even numbers.

  • I'm listening to a really good song right now. Good beat. I'm bopping and swaying and kicking my feet around in this here rolly chair.

  • Everyone I know is getting married.



















  • When/if I get married, I want to go to the courthouse in a green dress and it'll just be me, the dude, and the judge.

  • I think I would like it if we just looked at each other one day and said, "let's get married" and then went straight to the courthouse. No invitations, no party planning, just a quick stop to get me a green dress.




























  • I quit smoking 18 hours ago, I don't know if I approve of that decision.


  • I worked at my old job this weekend, to help out during the busy season. I sold 5 pairs of amazing glasses. I was a problem solver, a customer service wonder. I liked being an optician, I miss it.




















  • I really want to see "I am Legend" because, apparently, it is about zombies. And that is awesome.


  • I have a few stories out in the submissions abyss. One place has had a story for a very very long time, I wrote to check up on the story and have received no response. Was it really so bad?
  • Another place has had a story for almost 6 months, soon, they will also receive an email from me, asking, is it me? Did I do something wrong?
  • It feels like when someone doesn't have the guts to say "it's just not working out" and instead decides to not return phone calls or friendly "happy holidays" voicemails.

















  • I understand, these editors, they're busy. But still...I'm not. All I have is the time to sit at my kitchen table and wonder.


  • I had an idea for a book and I was going to write it all down until I realized that it really meant nothing and said nothing and would have been an exercise in "getting the shit out."


  • Last year I submitted a piece to a journal and received this rejection:
Interesting work, but I'm afraid it's not quite right for what we are doing. Feel free to try something else on us in the future.


  • Then, I submitted more work to the same journal this winter and received this rejection:
Thanks for thinking of us. These come close but not quite what we are after. Hope to see more stuff from you in the future though.


  • is it an improvement?














or just a re-worded form letter?

  • It is rare that I find a book that I can read straight through without starting another book midway through. There are books that I read, and start another book midway through, and I realize, while reading the second book, that I missed the first. This happened when I was reading "Eeeee Eee Eeee" by Tao Lin and then started "Samedi the Deafness" by Jesse Ball, and I realized while reading Mr. Ball's book, that I really missed the voice of "Eeeee Eee Eeee," so I put down "Samedi the Deafness" and finished "Eeeee Eee Eeee" and then I felt really empty.

  • I've only read two books straight through without stopping. One was an RL Stine book, "The Knife," when I was a kid and couldn't sleep one night at a friend's house. So I searched her bookshelf and read the book beginning to end and then stared out the window until everyone woke up and I pretended to be all sleepy eyed too.
  • The second was "Jesus' Son." I read that straight through last winter/spring. I stayed up until 5am to finish it. Stopping to rest would have been foolish.
  • Maybe the reason I'm such an impatient reader is that I'm constantly looking for that "must stay up all night" feeling. Anything less is simply an exercise in getting the shit out.


  • I really only read on the train or the bus. Sometimes at work. But almost never at home. It makes the empty space where no one is that much louder.




















.

No comments: