Tuesday, December 11, 2007

whatever, I do what I want





















hey, m.lady, what's a poem to you?

to me, a poem is entering into a conversation, bumping into someone at a coffee shop, chatting for a minute or two and then moving on. Thinking about that conversation while walking to the bus, waiting for the bus, sitting on the bus and looking out the window and thinking to yourself, "Maybe he meant this when he said that."

Or maybe the poem is a letter, one written using some kind of pattern or laid out rhythmic structure.

Or, maybe, the poem is a story. One told using some kind of pattern or laid out rhythmic structure.

At any rate, I hope the poet was kind enough to write "poem" at the top of the page.


Hey, m.lady, what's a prose poem to you?

See the above definition of "poem" only the poet used a prose structure, rather than the oft used line-breaky structure commonly associated with "poem."

At any rate, I hope the poet was kind enough to write "poem" or "prose poem" at the top of the page.


Hey, m.lady, what's a story to you?

To me, a story is something that takes the reader somewhere new.

At any rate, I hope the author was kind enough to write "story" at the top of the page.


With all of these, I think it is up to the reader to say, "hey, writer, I trust you here, but you'd better not let me down at the end." Emphasis on "trust."


If you like borders and boundaries and rules, well, don't read my shit. Or do, but don't get mad at me about it.

And if you're willing to break some rules, crush some fences, and give a little wiggle room, well, hop on board. I'm changing the fucking world here. And know that I'm not alone, we're an army, an undiscovered galaxy.





.

No comments: