Monday, September 17, 2007

It has come to my attention.....

.....that I don't actually like to read...much.

No. What I mean is, I don't like to find something to read. oh, F---, it's like dating. You've got to go through the bad to get to the good.

But I have some serious issues: I mean, okay, it's like if I told you that I love music (which I do, but in this case, I am using the love of music as a hypothetical), but then I tell you that I only listen to polka records released in Iowa between 1963 and 1974.

That there is m.lady and reading.

It is not unusual for me to stop reading a story or book if I don't like the way the first sentence is going.


Example: Arthur Morgan always liked....





















I'd stop at always liked- snooze.


When it comes to reading, I am incredibly impatient. And sometimes that makes sitting down to read a chore.


Which is a shame.


I mean, when I read, it's like I'm having a sit-down with the author and I say to them, "Okay, I trust you to take me somewhere." And if, at the end of the story, I am not in some way a different person. Well, I feel ripped off.

(So what does that say about me as a writer?............That I'm a jerk-face. That's what.)


So, it's not that I don't read a lot, it's just that most of what I read is a first sentence or half of a paragraph before I move on.


Sad, but true, I'm afraid.





Old robot:





















I think I may have already posted this image way back when, but it's not in my robot photo file, so I thought I'd post it.

Those words there, "Es solo aqua la lagrima de un extrano" are from a story that I read in a museum when I lived in LA (and I would go to the museum to forget that I was living in LA). The story was written over the mattes surrounding photos of empty piers and endless water/empty pools. It was a really cool exhibit. Anyway, the translation provided read, "It is only water in the teardrop of a stranger."

hey, ho, I just found my journal from LA, I knew that I had copied down the full text(!):








































Words there by Michael Ende. I have been looking for an English translation of "The Mirror in the Mirror" (original title: "Der Spiegel im Spiegel") for seven years. If you know where I can get my hands on it, please do tell me.



I just got cable television, see you in a week...

No comments: