Wednesday, May 02, 2007

on thoughts and thinking....

I was one of those people who refused to give up the tape. The mix tape, I mean.

Up until late 2004, I still staunchly held to my mix tape ideals.
















I spread my cds on the floor around me and wrote down the songs that I thought would work for the particular person who I was making the tape for.

I would then organize the songs and start to recording them, listening to each song the whole way through and making sure that the song I had marked to follow, would indeed do justice to the mood of the last few notes of the previous song.

Making a complete 90 minute mix tape would usually take me about 5-6 hours.

and it was my most favorite thing in the world to do.

Now, with this itunes world we live in, people just put songs into a playlist, hit shuffle and burn, and go about their business. (I too have been guilty of this on occassion.)

And everything that was beautiful about the mix tape process became something that could be discarded in the name of efficiency.

















What I'm really talking about is narrative.
What I'm really talking about is how narrative can be found in a group of seemingly unrelated fragments.
yup.


1 comment:

Player of words said...

I LOVED mixed tapes too! I made fancy covers for them also and used paint pens to coordinate with the covers ... (of course I had a box of paint pens and markers) ahh the good ol days.