Wednesday, November 29, 2006

yawp

Last night, there was a woman in the alley outside my window and she was howling at the moon.

She woke me up a few times with her dirty language and her loud, confident condemnation of all neighbors who dared to ask her to SHUT UP. She consistently replied "Fuck. You! Fuck. You!" and so on. I'd drift to sleep and then I'd hear "oh, Fuck. You." real loud.

In and out of sleep for three hours, I heard her yowling and mumbling and shouting. The way her voice echoed between the buildings, it sounded like she was floating right outside my window.

When I woke up this morning, I tried to convince myself that it was just a very real-seeming dream, but I knew that it was no subconscious imagining. There really was a mad woman in my alley last night. And three stories down she was having her way with the sounds of night and the directions of sleep.

No comments: